Sunday, January 13, 2008

Snow Snow Everywhere!!!!



When we returned from our adventures in Hungary, Chels and I walked into a winter wonderland! Literally we walked in it because the train could not pull up to the platform, therefore, we trampled through about two feet of untouched snow! This weather, although beautiful and romantic, was a bit problematic!

The problems began when trying to find our car, Sam, amongst the drifts. Only by chance and memory could we remember where we had roughly parked. After some digging we indeed found our blue automobile and the correct license plate. Unfortunately, Sam was so covered and barricaded that we took the metro home.

From home, we formulated an action plan! We needed a shovel. Sadly, I did not have one. This feeling of inadequacy was new as I had a shovel in my Wyoming car, a shovel in my apartment and probably ten more at home on the ranch! We peered into some of the local shops but had no luck.

I decided to seek advice from a more experienced Bucharestian, my neighbor Ina. I asked if she had a shovel which we might borrow. No she did not, but she did have contacts!!!! After three phone calls, she had found me not only a shovel but a shoveler! To make a long story short, after a twenty minute subway ride, a ten minute walk in the snow, three more phone calls to Ina and our shoveler, a ride in a van, a broom, a homemade shovel and 70 Ron, our car was set free!

Although it has dirtied several floors, created some traffic accidents and cut down walking areas, the snow has created a magical blanket on Bucharest that not only brightens it's gray buildings but creates a feeling of newness. With this white cover, it is hard not to enjoy soup and hot chocolate, snowmen making and ice skating is a must!

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

It's beginning to look a little more like home with all that snow! Although the snow has melted (or blown to Nebraska), we still have the frigid weather that goes along with it. I had to do a double take on your picture. Your hair has gotten so long that I didn't recognize you!!
Keep us posted on all of your excitement!

Carrie said...

Alison, I am so glad that you remember me. I enjoy reading your blog. It is so exciting that you get to visit all of these neat places, places I have only read about. What a great opportunity!!!
Take Care