Friday, May 16, 2008

Changes

"I'm a bit nervous you are coming home a different person." This was a sentence taken from an email one of my closest friends recently sent me. Although only a few words, it made me step back and reflect....

Am I a different person???? Well, I suppose the answer is yes and no!

Yes-
I've had to cut the apron strings a bit, or at least one of them, to strike out in an new country. Don't get me wrong, I still need a weekly dose of parental guidance and affection!

I no longer fear traveling in any capacity. Once you've bribed officials, legally crossing a border seems like small potatoes!

I've learned a new school curriculum, KINDA!! There hasn't been a large amount of training or guidance, but it's stretched me!

I eat more fruit and veggies than before (Who would have thought I'd like zucchini or cauliflower/broccoli casserole???)

I've been a minority.

I've witnessed and been somewhat emerged into a new culture; liking some aspects of it and finding other parts less than appealing.

I crave the adrenaline of traveling a bit more. I can see how it is addictive and do worry I will feel a bit deprived when I come home.

I listen to different types of music, including European techno.

I spell some words differently. Darn that British influence :-)

No-
I still love to bake! Sugar....one of my favorite things.

I miss all of my close friends and family~some things never change.

I prefer my small town setting to the large city.

I love the mountains and having accessibility to them.

I still believe in God, probably more so now.

I hold onto my family values, including marriage, drinking, etc. with a bit of a stronger grasp.

I appear American in my style, sporting sweatshirts, jeans, baseball caps and sandals on occasion.

These were just a few my thoughts, off the cuff. In any capacity, we change regardless of our setting. We adapt and react to what happens to us. This blog entry is a bit more philosophical than usual, but I thought I would just throw it out there................

2 comments:

Carrie said...

As Justin would say, "Change is good." I have not been big on change. I grew up in Laramie, and lived there until 4 months ago. I never thought that I would like leaving, but it has been great to see something else. Now my change has not been quite like yours (I only moved to another state), but change in any capacity is great. It is so wonderful that you had the chance to have the opportunities you have had.

Terry Love said...

And someone said I've become the writer! Listen to the poetry flowing from your OWN pen Al. Finally, you've become one of "us." I equally want to apologize, congratulate and sit in awe of you.