Monday, March 31, 2008

Paris


Oh, Paris! I was told by many that Paris was a city not only known for love but one that a person could indeed fall in love with. The archeticture was beautiful and plentiful, museums readily available, coffee shops every three hundred feet and shopping was always an option. That said, I grew very fond of this well-known location but found "love" to be a bit elusive!


It is a popular rumor that the French are often rude and unfriendly with foreigners. I fortunately found this not to be true, on most occassions. Whether this was because I maintained company with French natives or stuck to popular tourist locations, I cannot say. As would be expected the food was fantastic and by no means healthy! I was treated to cheese fondue, bread and cheese for breakfast, croissants, sandwiches on bagettes and an unlikely Mexican meal! All of these lovely experiences came with a cost; Paris is not cheap, and I can see how artists become "starving" if they try to prosper there.

My greatest find in Paris was not in a building or a tasty treat (shocking, I know) but actually in the company I kept. I travelled to France, among a large group, with my friend Karine. She is our French teacher and a native of Southern France. Her sister lives in Paris and has been there for eight years. As would be expected, Karine's return brought out friends from all regions. It was with this group I felt a truly foreign experience occurred!


Karine always says that my American roots shine through not only in my dress, food preferences and looks but also in my mannerisms, values and life views. I never really understood this assessment until this weekend! Below you will find a table comparing my Americanism with those of my French counterparts:

Me

  • Eat cereal, eggs, bacon, pancakes for breakfast
  • Discuss sex with close friends
  • Values marriage
  • Takes about an hour to eat
  • Concerned with maintaining a schedule
  • Considers bossiness rude
  • Does not worry about being with a group
  • Uses deodorant sticks
  • Uses curling irons
  • Most speak only English
  • Modest with nudity
  • Waves and smiles at different people
  • Shakes hands when introduced

French

  • Eat bread and cheese for breakfast
  • Discusses sex with anyone at anytime
  • Sees marriage as unecessary
  • Takes at least 2 and a half hours to eat
  • Often late and unconcerned about time
  • Considers giving orders "fair enough"
  • Sprays perfume under arms to prevent odor
  • Uses blowdryer and round brush, if anything, to fix hair
  • most speak English plus their native tongue
  • Could run around naked without a care
  • Keeps distance until formally introduced
  • Kisses cheeks when introduced
  • Group oriented

    The most interesting differnce I found was with social behavior. What I found unacceptable such as being late and telling at native Parisan where to go was not considered appauling in any capcity by the French. Rather leaving a group dinner early, failing to add to a conversation or being inflexible with time was considered inexcusable.

    In any capacity, I found the French refreshingly honest and pleasant to be with. I will return to France and my newly made friends in about three weeks. I very much look forward to this!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

How fun!! When I was in college my parents took in a student from France (actually two, first Diane, and then her sister the next year) Diane was different and I had a hard time with her, but Roxane was wonderful. I loved her, and she is a close friend now. The differences you described are so true. I wish that I would have taken the opportunity when my mom went to France for 6 weeks to stay with Roxanes parents, but I have a terrible fear of flying so I passed. I do regret it now. I should have just taken a tranquilizer and went for it!! Anyway, glad that you had fun in Paris. What a fun adventure!!