Sunday, October 21, 2007

Romanian Children

Today it finally happened. I ventured out of the comfort of my humble abode to a less affluent part of town. I, with two other teachers from school, volunteered at an institution for less privileged children. It cannot be called an orphanage because these children have living family members; however, the families cannot financially support these them.
Therefore, they call this "institution" home.
We arrived at the institution, and I immediately felt grateful for what I once considered less than aesthetically appealing in my own apartment. Upon entering the building, we saw several children sitting in chairs. They waved hello but did not move. After introductions I was greeted in a very hands-on fashion. Hugs were everywhere! Luckily, this audience was patient, and my lack of Romanian seemed unimportant. Four of us, one a Romanian psychologist, planned and implemented an autumn leaf activity.
These children had an abundant amount of energy and eagerly completed their tasks. Following their leaf creations, we simply played in the room. Unfortunately, the children are not allowed outside, so the only play they had took place between 10:00 and 12:00 whilst we were there. When we left, the kids filed back into the room with the row of chairs, energy suddenly gone, without speaking and watched t.v. On weekends the vast majority of their time is spent in this setting. Thankfully, during the week, they receive more formal instruction in school.
Many have predicted I will come home with some Romanian children. After this experience, I would say it was a possibility! Then again, should someone who likes peanut butter straight from the jar and leaves socks laying all over really be in charge of a small child's life? Probably not! I suppose volunteering will have to suffice for now!

No comments: